Since the project pitch, the autoethnographic research process has progressed extensively. The Hopeful Environmentalist has become a successful small-scale platform and active persona within the climate education media niche. Through a participatory approach, utilising the Five Dimensions of Online Persona and by observing other key persona’s within the niche such as Atmos., Earthrise, and Impact, individuality has been found in the focus on hopeful content. My persona has been influenced by these platforms, shaped through the epiphanies and observations made of the media niche and what innovative content is needed and wanted by the audience.
Expanding on Expertise
The following are expertise outlined in the pitch that I hoped to utilise, that have been integral throughout the autoethnographic process to understand my media niche:
- Mapping – Used to map the field map
- Narrowing – Used to narrow the media niche, and note key epiphanies
- Sensitivity – Used for ethical considerations, including inclusivity, in creating content
- Comparing – Used to compare platforms, mediums, personas, content
- Including – Closely linked to sensitivity, used to created a sense of community through hope with the persona
- Exploring – Different ways to gain reach, eg. posting reels vs. posts, different accounts, platforms
- Approaching – Looking at different ways to approach through the constructivist framework, learning and re approaching differently
- Perspective – Using perspective of being a small-scale account, but still having the ability to gain deep knowledge and understanding of the media niche by participating and becoming a persona
These skills have guided the autoethnographic process, and fostered a deeper knowledge of the media niche, through a reflection on my personal experience as an audience member in the climate education niche.